Here are some interesting tour facts:
- Rushmore Cave is the closest cave to Mount Rushmore and is easily accessible from Keystone and Hermosa.
- The cave contains a large number of beautiful cave formations such as stalactites and stalagmites and is a real crowd-pleaser!
- There is no crawling required. Moderate fitness necessary. Should have the ability to walk an hour at a slow pace with a several staircases to navigate.
- The entire tour route is illuminated with electric lights, and visitors may bring their own flashlight. The trail is well groomed and improved with steps and rails for a safe and enjoyable visitor experience. We go the extra mile to please the visitor.
- Flash photography is encouraged and sufficient light-levels allow for the use of most video cameras.
- The cave temperature is 58 degrees Fahrenheit and we recommend visitors wear comfortable outdoors type clothing and stable walking shoes.
- We offer an AUTOMATIC REFUND POLICY for visitors that must leave a tour. If you must leave the tour for some reason, such as claustrophobia or other health related problems, we will offer a “no questions asked” refund.
Post Office: Early visitors carved their initials into the walls of this special room.
Image Room: Discover faces and other describable shapes in the rock of this room.
Floral Room: Helictites on stalactites create patterns resembling budding leaves & floral designs.
The Big Room: See the most stalactites in any room in the Black Hills. This unique area is loaded with unique cave features like stalactites, flowstone, cave bacon and more.
1/2 mile (.8 km)
1 hour (approx.)
58 degrees F. (14 C.)
Elevation at Entrance:
3,930 ft. above sea level
Lowest Elevation on Tour:
3,896 ft. above sea level
Highest Elevation on Tour:
3,969 ft. above sea level